|Let's start with a good photo :-)|
Blog Checking Lines:
The March 2014 Daring Bakers' challenge was hosted by Rebecca of BakeNQuilt. She challenged us to learn to make classic nougat and to make it our own with our choice of flavours and add-ins.
|Squirrel wafers - distracting you from the disaster...|
Now, given my dubious success, I'm not going to post that recipe here, but direct you instead to the challenge recipe, on our host's blog and wish you at least 40% more luck with it than I had! You can find it here.
|Splat! It was in a tin. It seemed set. It lifted out. I left the room and an hour later… super splat :-(|
Now, I'm not trying to make excuses, however I can think of a variety of reasons why mine was a bit short of the mark…
- I halved the recipe - always a possibility I divided / measured wrongly
- Because I halved it, I used a smaller pan, and I couldn't use my usual sugar thermometer
- I didn't have corn syrup, and substituted golden syrup instead
- It was a cold, wet and miserable night, and the air was damp
- I don't have a stand mixer, so was using a hand whisk, which made adding the syrup a two person job (no husbands were burned in the process)
I think 5 excuses is probably enough!
|What was left after hacking out the wafer coated pieces from the middle|
If I made it again, I'd double the nut quotient, and use a milder tasting honey. And get it right!
|Nougat - with added cling film and parchment (for fibre….?!)|
|And another good one to finish with - forget the !|